Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 ME173X is an extremely affordable Android tablet. It is available for just $150. The tablet has 7 inch display with 1280×800 pixel resolution which gives decent 216 ppi. Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 is powered by 1.2GHz quad-core MediaTek processor accompanied by 1GB RAM. The tablet has 5MP rear camera and 1.2MP front camera for video calling. Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 runs skinned version of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system. The tablet is available with both 16 and 32GB memory which can be expanded using microSD card. There is a 3,950 mAh battery which is promising 10 hours usage time.
It is possible to root Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 on Android 4.2 with build ME173X_WW_User_126.96.36.199146_20130523 or ME173X_WW_user_188.8.131.52129_20130619. We shall be using a tool called Motochopper to root Asus Memo Pad HD 7. The rooting process is extremely easy, it will take just a few minutes to root Asus Memo Pad HD 7.
Update: There is an easier process to root Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 using Framaroot one-click apk rooting tool with the help of Boromir exploit. You don’t even need a computer to root Asus MeMo Pad HD 7. You just need to download .apk file and install the Framaroot rooting app to root the tablet. Please follow the second rooting process.
- Make sure that the tablet has adequate charge (50% minimum) so that it doesn’t get turned off in between the process.
- Enable USB debugging by going to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and enable it. If you don’t see “Developer options” option then you need to enable it by going to “Settings>About tablet > Build number” and tap on Build number 7 times until you will see a message “You are now a developer”.
- Back up all your important data and files.
- Make sure the tablet model is Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 ME173X.
Warning: Please carefully follow all the steps mentioned in the article. We are not responsible if anything bad happens to your device. Rooting and installing Custom ROM will void manufacturer’s warranty.
Process 1: How to root Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 ME173X using Motochopper
- Download and install Asus USB driver from this link and install it on your computer.
- Download Motochopper from this link and extract on your computer.
- Connect the tablet to computer using USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- After extracting the zip file you will get a file called “Run.bat”, double click on the file to start it.
- Motochopper will try to identify the tablet but it will fail. Now on the table navigate to Settings and change USB settings to “Integrated CD drive”. After this Motochopper will recognize the tablet.
- Follow the on screen instructions to root Asus MeMo Pad HD 7.
- Reboot the tablet once rooting process is complete.
- Download latest version of Framaroot .apk file from this link and transfer it to the tablets’s internal memory.
- Make sure you have enabled installation of app from unknown sources by navigating to “Setting>Security” and then select “Unknown sources” checkbox.
- Open any file manager and go to the location here you have saved the Framaroot .apk file and install it.
- Now open app drawer and start the app called “Framaroot”.
- Click on Boromir and wait till a success message is shown.
- Reboot the tablet.
This was the guide to root Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 tablet using Motochopper and Framaroot. To check whether you have successfully rooted the phone or not, you can install “Root Checker” app from Google Play Store.