Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is a portable Android tablet from the Korean manufacturer. It features an 8 inch display with 1280×800 px resolution. Internally the tablet is powered by dual-core 1.5 GHz processor. There is 1.5 GB RAM for all multitasking needs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 has 5 MP rear camera which is capable of shooting 720p videos and there is also 1.3 MP front camera for video calling. The tablet comes with 16 or 32 GB internal memory which can be expanded by microSD card. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 has 4450 mAh battery. The tablet runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system with Samsung’s TouchWiz UX. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is available in two variants; Wi-Fi only model which is known as Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T310 and 3G compatible model which is known as Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311.
If you are looking to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 then you will be happy to know that both variants of the tablet can be rooted. The rooting process consists of two steps. At first you need to install popular TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and then flash the rooting files using TWRP. Carefully follow the entire tutorial to successfully root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Wi-Fi and 3G model.
- Make sure that the tablet has adequate charge (50% minimum) so that it doesn’t get turned off in between the process.
- Enable USB debugging by going to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and enable it. If you don’t see “Developer options” option then you need to enable it by going to “Settings>About device> Build number” and tap on Build number 7 times until you will see a message “You are now a developer”.
- Download Samsung USB drivers from this link and install on your computer. If you have Samsung Kies installed then skip this step.
- Back up all your important data and files.
- Make sure the tablet model is Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T310 or SM-T311 by going to “System settings>About device”.
How to install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Wi-Fi & 3G:
- First download the essential files which are required to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Sprint version. Download Odin307.zip from this link, download TWRP_T31x_r3.tar from here and finally download Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 rooting file ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip from this link.
- Extract the Odin307.zip and you will get Odin3 v3.07.exe file. Double click on Odin3 v3.07.exe to start the program.
- Turn off the tablet and turn it on in download mode. To do this simultaneously press Power+ Home+ Volume Down buttons until you see a warning screen. Follow on screen information to enter download mode.
- Once the tablet is in download mode; connect it to the computer using original USB cable.
- The computer will automatically install all the required drivers. It will take some time to complete the driver installation process. Once it is complete Odin will detect the tablet.
- On the Odin window click on PDA button and select the TWRP_T31x_r3.tar file which you have downloaded previously.
- Ensure that Re-Partition option is unchecked. Now click on the Start button on Odin to flash TWRP recovery on the tablet.
- The tablet will reboot when the flashing is complete.
How to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Wi-Fi & 3G using TWRP
- Connect the tablet to computer and transfer ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip file to the internal memory of the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet and turn it on in TWRP recovery mode by simultaneously pressing Power+ Home+ Volume Up buttons.
- Once the tablet is in TWRP recovery mode, tap on Install option and navigate to the folder where you have placed the ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip file and select it.
- Now flash the ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip file and reboot the tablet.
This was the guide to root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T310 or SM-T311. Open application drawer and you will find “SuperSU” app. To check whether you have successfully rooted the phone or not, you can install “Root Checker” app from Google Play Store.