A few days ago we reported that Samsung released Android 4.3 update for Snapdragon 600 powered Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505. Now they have released the update for Exynos 5 Octa powered Galaxy S4 phones as well. I9500XXUEMJ5 update for Samsung Galaxy S4 brings all the goodness of Android 4.3 to this flagship phone. The performance of the phone has been improved compared to earlier Android version. There are some visual changes and new features. Snowmobile created an Android 4.3 change log for the phone-
Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 update changelog:
– TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
– ANT+ Support
– Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
– Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
– Improved RAM management
– Improved Display colour reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
– Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
– New Samsung Keyboard
– New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
– New Reading Mode (Optimises display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
– New Camera firmware
– Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
All Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 users should have received the update notification. You can directly update the phone using OTA or using the computer with the Samsung Kies. If you have rooted the device or modified it anyway then both of the update processes will not work. You have to manually update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.3 stock ROM.
- Make sure that the phone has adequate charge (50% minimum) so that it doesn’t get turned off in between the process.
- Enable USB debugging by going to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and enable it. If you don’t see “Developer options” option then you need to enable it by going to “Settings>About device> Build number” and tap on Build number 7 times until you will see a message “You are now a developer”.
- Download Samsung USB drivers from this link and install on your computer. If you have Samsung Kies installed then skip this step.
- Back up all your important data and files. All data stored on the internal memory card will be deleted.
- Make sure the phone model is Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 by going to “System settings>About device”. Don’t try to install this firmware on any other Samsung Galaxy S4 model.
Manual update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 I9500XXUEMJ5 ROM
- Download the I9500XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 from this link. Download ROM according to your region.
- Extract the archive on your computer and you will get the firmware file with “.tar.md5″ extension.
- Download Odin3 v 3.09 this link and extract it.
- Now double click on Odin3 v3.09.exe and start it.
- Turn off the phone and restart it in download mode by pressing Home+ Power+ Volume down buttons simultaneously. Once the phone is in download it, connect it to the computer using USB cable.
- Wait some time until Odin detects the phone and shows blue sign.
- On the Odin window, click on the AP button and select the “.tar.md5″ file.
- Ensure that Re-Partition is unchecked.
- Now click on the Start button to flash the firmware. It will take some time to complete the process.
- The phone will reboot once the flashing is complete.
- You might experience some issues like bootloop, Force Close etc. So it is recommended to perform wipe/factory reset.
- Turn off the phone and reboot it in recovery mode by pressing Home+ Power+ Volume up buttons simultaneously. Once you are in recovery modeselect wipe/factory reset option. This will delete all data and files from the internal SD card.
- Now reboot the phone.