How to root Sony Xperia Z on Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware
Sony Xperia Z is currently the company’s flagship mobile phone. It was one of the first devices to pack a Full HD 5” display. Sony Xperia Z is powered by 1.5 GHz quad-core processor along with 2GB RAM for better multitasking. The phone features 13MP rear camera which is capable of shooting 1080p Full HD video at 30fps. Sony Xperia Z is water and dust resistant. It was initially released with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. Sony updated the phone to newer Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
It was possible to root Xperia Z very easily using the one-click rooting tool on older firmware 10.3.A.0.423. But Sony recently released newer 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware for Xperia Z which patched the perf_event exploit which was targeted to root various Sony Xperia devices. But still it is possible to root Xperia Z using an alternative method. This process is not as simple as the earlier one-click method but if you follow the guide carefully you will be able to easily root Sony Xperia Z running 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware.
- Make sure that the tablet has adequate charge (50% minimum) so that it doesn’t get turned off in between the process.
- Enable USB debugging by going to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and enable it.
- Back up all your important data and files.
- Make sure the phone model is Sony Xperia Z C6602 or C6603 by going to “System settings>About device” and it’s running stock 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware.
Warning: Please carefully follow all the steps mentioned in the article. We are not responsible if anything bad happens to your device. Rooting and installing Custom ROM will void manufacturer’s warranty.
Root Sony Xperia Z on Android 4.2.2 (10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware):
- First download and install Sony Flashtool on your computer. Flashtool folder will be created on computer’s C drive.
- If you are using the Flashtool for the first time then you need to install devices drivers. For this navigate to C:\Flashtool\drivers and double click on Flashtool-drivers.exe file follow the on screen instructions to install Sony Xperia Z drivers.
- Connect your Xperia Z to the computer using USB cable when the phone is on. Make sure all essential drivers are installed on the computer.
- Download XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf and move it to this location C:\Flashtool\firmwares
- Navigate to the Flashtool folder and click on the Flashtool icon to launch the software. In the Flashtool window click on the lighting icon which you will find on the top left corner. Now select “Flashmode” and hit “OK” button.
- A new window will open. If you like the wipe the device before flashing then select “Data, Cache, Appslog” check boxes otherwise leave then unchecked.
- Under the Source folder section, browse and select the file XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf from C:\Flashtool\firmwares location.
- Click on the Flash button to start flashing the phone.
- Follow the on screen instructions.
- Disconnect the phone from computer and turn off the phone.
- Now you need to put the phone into download mode. To do this press the Volume down button and connect it to the USB cable.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to the computer and the phone display will remain blank.
- Observe the Flashtool on computer. It will continue flashing the file XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf to the phone.
- When the flashing is complete you will get a “Flashing finished” message.
- Disconnect the phone from computer and reboot it.
- Connect the phone to computer and make sure USB debugging mode is on.
- Close the Flashtool.
- Download DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip and extract it on computer.
- After extracting you will get a file runme_win.bat. Double click on it and follow on screen instructions to root the phone.
- The phone will restart when rooting is complete.
- Now repeat the steps 4 to 14 and flash XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf file to go back to the latest kernel of the firmware.
If you have followed all the steps carefully then you will be able to root Sony Xperia Z on Android 4.2.2.