How to setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows computer
Do you want to setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows but don’t have any idea about it? Well, you are not alone. Many faces this problem when learning Android rooting and firmware updating. If you are into Android rooting and custom firmware installation, then you need to have some basic knowledge about ADB and Fastboot and its working principle. These two tools are frequently used to root and update firmware of Android devices. ADB or Android Debug Bridge is a command line tool which is used to communicate with Android devices. The ADB tool comes bundled with Android Software Development Kit (SDK).
ADB can work on all operating systems Windows, Mac and Linux. Since majority of the users are running Windows operating system, we shall be guiding you to set up ADB in Windows computers only. Android SDK requires Java Development Kit (JDK) to work properly. Make sure your computer has latest JDK installed, otherwise download the JDK from this link and install it.
I’m going to show you how to setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows 8. The process will be identical on older versions of Windows operating system.
How to setup ADB and Fastboot in Windows:
- Download Android Software Development Kit (SDK) from this link.
- Extract the zip file contents and find the folder called “sdk“. Inside this folder you find another folder named “platform-tools”
- Move the “platform-tools” folder to C drive and rename it to “Android-ADB”. So the path of the folder will be “C:\Android-ADB”
- Now we have to define the path where ADB is present. Come back to desktop, right click on Computer and select Properties.
- A new window will open. On the left side you will find ‘Advanced System Settings’. Click on it, a new window will open.
- By default ‘Advanced’ tab will open where you will find ‘Environment Variables’ option. Click on it.
- On the next window, select ‘Path’ variable which can be found under System variables.
- After selecting ‘Path’ variable, click on Edit and type the path “C:\Android-adb” in the ‘Variable value’ field. Click OK to save all changes. Confirm and apply all the other changes.
- Now you have sucessfully installed ADB and Fastboot on Windows PC. To check whether or not ADB and Fastboot has been successfully configured on your computer, open Command prompt and type: adb and you will see a screen similar to this:
If you made any mistakes then you will see this screen-
This was the guide to setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows computer. If you require any more help then please leave queries in the comment section. We shall try to help you.