Samsung just started seeding Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update to last years flagship phone Samsung Galaxy S3. Android 4.3 comes with all new goodies of the latest Android 4.3 like lock screen widgets, enhanced notification panel and much more. The system elements have been updated with Samsung Galaxy S4 like design. The navigation bar is now transparent and settings panel is now divided into tabs like Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Unfortunately the launcher and widgets have not been updated with new design. This new update brings support for Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch. Samsung Galaxy SIII is not getting Samsung KNOX Security features. SamMobile has compiled a detailed changelog of the update:
Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update changelog:
– GALAXY GEAR Support
– TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
– ANT+ Support
– Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
– New Samsung Keyboard
– GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
– New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– Move-to-SD-card feature
– New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
– New Additions in Notification Centre
– Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
– Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
– New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 firmware details:
Country: Germany (Vodafone)
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:24:03 +0000
Product Code: VFG
This update is available in some regions now. You will be getting update notification on your phone soon. If you can not wait for the official Android 4.3 update for Samsung Galaxy S3 then you can flash the firmware by following this tutorial.
- Make sure that the phone has adequate charge (50% minimum) so that it doesn’t get turned off in between the process.
- Enable USB debugging by going to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and enable it. If you don’t see “Developer options” option then you need to enable it by going to “Settings>About device> Build number” and tap on Build number 7 times until you will see a message “You are now a developer”.
- Download Samsung USB drivers from this link and install on your computer. If you have Samsung Kies installed then skip this step.
- Back up all your important data and files. All data stored on the internal memory will be deleted.
- Make backup of EFS partition.
- Make sure the phone model is Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 by going to “System settings>About device”. Don’t try to install this ROM on any other variant of Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Manual update Samsung Galaxy S3 to official Android 4.3
- Download Odin from this link and extract on your computer. You will get an Odin.exe file along with some other files.
- Download the official Android 4.3 ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 “I9300XXUGMJ9_I9300VFGGMJ5_I9300BUUGMJ3_VFG.zip” from here and extract it. You will get .tar.md5 file. There may be some additional files.
- Turn off the phone and press Home + Power + Volume down buttons simultaneously until you get to a warning screen. Release the buttons and press Volume up button to continue.
- Run Odin.exe on the computer as administrator.
- When the phone is in download mode, connect it to the computer using USB cable. Odin will detect the phone, the ID:COM box will turn yellow and it will show COM port number. If Odin cannot detect the device then you need to reinstall the USB drivers.
- In the Odin window add the following files- add “AP_I9300XXUGMJ9_1902166_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5″ to AP
– Add “BL_I9300XXUGMJ9_1902166_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5″ to BL
– Add “MODEM_I9300BUUGMJ3_REV02_REV04_CL1413323.tar.md5″ to CP
– Add “CSC_VFG_I9300VFGGMJ5_1986192_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5″ to CSC
- In the Odin window make sure you have unchecked everything except “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time”.
- Make sure “Re-Partition” option is unchecked.
- Click on “Start” button to start the ROM installation process.
- The phone will reboot once firmware installation is complete. You will see a “PASS” message on the Odin window. Now you can disconnect the phone from the computer.
- You might experience some issues like bootloop etc. So it is recommended to perform wipe/factory reset. To solve this problems turn off the phone and reboot it in recovery mode by pressing Home+ Power+ Volume up buttons simultaneously. Once you are in recovery mode select wipe/factory reset option. This will delete all data and files from the internal SD card.
- Reboot the phone when all processes are complete.