How to unlock bootloader of HTC phones?
Do you want to root your HTC phone or install a custom ROM? Then, you need to unlock the phone’s bootloader first in order to root or install custom ROM, otherwise it is almost impossible to do so. On HTC devices it is quite easy to unlock the bootloader. In this guide we are going to show to how to unlock bootloader of HTC phone. WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit is the easiest way to unlock bootloader of HTC phones, installing custom recovery and finally rooting HTC phone. It has a simple user interface so you can easily follow the instructions. WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit is developed by the members of XDA developers and if you like the tool, please visit this link and make a donation. Currently WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit supports more than 60 HTC phones. You can find all the supported phones list here.
Warning: Unlocking bootloader will void your device’s warranty.
- Make sure that the phone has adequate charge (50% minimum) so that it doesn’t turn off in between the process.
- Back up all your important files. All the data stored in internal memory will be deleted.
- Check the device model by going to “System settings>About device” and make sure that the device is supported by the WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit.
- You need a computer running Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10.
How to unlock bootloader of HTC Phones:
- Download WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit from here.
- Start WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit and it will prompt you to install ADB Drivers on your computer, click on Yes and it will download and install required drivers.
- On the next screen, select your device from the list. Now wait a few minutes as the tool will download correct recovery file for your device.
- Now enable USB debugging on the phone and connect to the computer using a USB cable. To enable USB debugging by going to “Settings > Developer options> USB debugging” and enable it. If you can not find the Developer options then go to “Settings > About > Software Information > More” and tap on Build number 7 times.
- After this click Get Token ID in the Unlock Bootloader box. This will reboot your phone into bootloader mode in order to retrieve the Token ID for the phone. You need this Token ID to submit to HTCDev website to unlock the bootloader. The toolkit will open a text file with your device’s Token ID and will display further instructions.
- Visit HTCDev website and create an account if you don’t have any. Now log in to your account and visit this link and submit your Token ID.
- You will receive an email from HTCDve containing unlock_code.bin as an attachment. You will need this file to unlock bootloader of the phone. Download unlock_code.bin and save it on the computer.
- Now open WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit and click on Unlock Bootloader button and it will reboot the phone in bootloader mode. Now flash the unlock_code.bin file which you have downloaded. Now a prompt will be displayed on the phone. Confirm unlocking of the bootloader and you it will start the process. It will take a few minutes to complete the process. Keep in mind that all files stored on the internal memory of the phone will be deleted.
This was the quick guide to unlock bootloader of any HTC phone.